IKEBANA IN MAINE

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE library display

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE library display
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE library display

2011/03/17

Condolences: The Tohoku-Pacific Ocean Earthquake

I would like to extend sincerest condolences and deepest sympathy to the victims and families of the Tohoku-Pacific Ocean Earthquake. I would like to dedicate my Ikebana flower arranging to them. I deeply respect all rescue workers and greatly appreciate the support from overseas. I hope they can find recovery means immediately. I have been receiving words and encouragement to the people of Japan from many American friends. I truly appreciate your kindness and thoughtful gestures.
I chose white chrysanthemums for them because they have specific meaning. White chrysanthemums are funeral flowers in Japan. Buddhist alters are covered with them in order to respect one's life. The scent of mums reminds me of buddhist temples and my family shrine. Chrysanthemums also represent Japan's royal family flowers and emblems. Some Japanese people craft a Bonsai's cascade style (kengai style) and dolls (kiku-ningyou) from them.

I added pink carnations to express sympathy to children and young people who lost their life. Many of the victims have not had funerals yet in the midst of the tragedy. I pray for the souls of them.
Peace. Naomi Ryokufu.
(Please click the left bar of University of Southern Maine's donation activities. You can help the victims through them.)



No comments: